granny squares/afghan

All things crochet!
AumNamahShivaya

granny squares/afghan

Postby AumNamahShivaya » Thu May 26, 2011 1:52 am

Hi everybody!
I have a small question about granny squares... I'm not exactly new to crochet, but this is the first time I've made something bigger than a scarf. I'm working on an afghan consisting of about 80 granny squares (not really using a pattern, just an example that I've had lying around for years), and I only just started working on it.

I was wondering if it's a HUGE problem that I'm using two different types of yarn, which is resulting in very slight differences in the size of the squares from each yarn type. The smaller square seems to be a little stretchy, but is that going to be a bad thing for my afghan in the long run? I'd rather know now than when I've finished all 80 of the granny squares and am attempting to attach them....

What do you guys think? Any and all advice/words of wisdom are greatly appreciate!

Thanks!

crafty grandma

Re: granny squares/afghan

Postby crafty grandma » Thu May 26, 2011 12:49 pm

Small differences in size will usually smooth themselves out when you sew the squares together. However, if you are really concerned, you can block a few of the smaller squares to the same dimensions as the larger ones and see if they will easily stretch and stay at that size. If they do then you will have no problems with the completed afghan. You don't have to block all the squares (although you can if you want), a few will be enough for testing. After assembling your afghan, the squares will block themselves the first time you wash it.

Pat P.

Re: granny squares/afghan

Postby Pat P. » Sun May 29, 2011 5:17 pm

You could also change your hook size as this will alter your gauge probably more than you need. If the size difference isn't too great you might consider leaving it alone . I've done this and to me it gave the blanket a more "homey" old fashioned feeling. Are you mixing the yarns within the motifs too? If not try it- you might like the look. Don't think of it as a big project- think of it as 5 or 6 scarves all in a row! I just LOVE a sweet , old school granny square! Instant classic!!

Return to “General Crochet Discussion”