Knitting string market bag

Ask and answer questions about knitting patterns.
Daylilydayzed

Knitting string market bag

Postby Daylilydayzed » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:25 am

I have been knitting a string market bag out of Peaches and Creme cotton yarn. I made one for me and one for my daughter in law. I am now making a another one for myself. It is really easy to do. Just cast on a number of stitches(30-40stitches makes a good size bag) and either knit garter stitch or seed stitch till it measures about 20 ridges for the garter stitch or 9-10 inches in length. Then pick up stitches all the way around the edges ad( a circular needle works great here) and knit 1 row to count the number of stitches. If it is an odd number of stitches, knit one more row and increase one stitch so that there is an even number of stitches. Then start the pattern stitch of Row 1. K2tog, Yarn Over. Repeat. Row 2. Knit I have found that I have one stitch left over when I am doing the first row and I just knit it. It lines up with the first stitch and looks like a really wide vertical row. It is located at one corner of the bag so I am not worried about it. After the bag is about 10-12 inches from the picked up stitches then either knit in garter stitch for 3-4 ridges or knit a seed stitch border and then bind off. Then locate where you want your strap to go and attach your yarn and pick up 10 stitches( makes a strap about 2 1/4 inches wide) knit the strap in seed stitch or garter stitch until it measures 20-24 inches( makes a shoulder length bag but you can knit it shorter to fit you)and when your length is reached attach it to the other side directly across from where you started the strap. The bag will stretch vertically when items are placed in it. I have tested the strength of the bag this way. I placed my daughter's mini dachshund in the bag and held it up. Coal ( a male ) weighs about 7-8 lbs and then I tested it with her little female dachshund Sugarfoot ( a female) who weighs about 10 -11 lbs.The bag held both of them with no problems. :D

spiker4203

Re: Knitting string market bag

Postby spiker4203 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:52 am

Thank you for the pattern.....this sounds very nice...

I have been wanting to make one of these.

mliz55

Postby mliz55 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:38 pm

I have done something similar with cotton string from the grocery store. for the middle of the bag I did a drop stitch, essentially wrapping the yarn twice around, and on the next row dropping one of the wraps. came out great, I sent them to my niece who was living in Rwanda. She used them for shopping, and for food storage, great for vegetables!

Daylilydayzed

Postby Daylilydayzed » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:27 pm

My string bags are out of cotton yarn. After the holidays are over I will be knitting a string bag out of crochet thread. The thread is size 10 Red Heart Classic Crochet Thread ball that has 1000 yds on it. It is in the natural color.
But right now I am working on a pair of red mittens for a school girl who comes through my crossing( I am a school crossing guard) , I have already made the little sister to her mittens and just have to finish the red pair before I give them to the two girls. I also have 4 more string bags in the line up to be knitted. I am working on the first one for my daughter. She has asked me to make 4 bags for her to give to her co-workers as Christmas gifts. This one is a mango color.

Rob182

Postby Rob182 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:36 am

I'd like to make some eco-friendly string bags to
finished a string shopping bag I'd been designing.

Daylilydayzed

Postby Daylilydayzed » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:29 am

What pattern are you using Rob?

SundayForever

Postby SundayForever » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:47 am

I'd like to make some eco-friendly string bags to finished a string shopping bag I'd been designing.

jasmine_sam

Postby jasmine_sam » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:29 pm

Thank you for the pattern

Daylilydayzed

Postby Daylilydayzed » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:37 pm

Jasmine,
you are welcome to use the pattern for anything else also. If yoy need a stretchable length of knitting, try casting on 10 stitches and follow the pattern of Row1: knit 1 all the way across then knit Row 2: k2tog,yo all the way across the row. These two rows work the same way in vertical strips as it does in the round form of knitting.

yarnbazaar

Postby yarnbazaar » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:41 am

Wow! Thank you for the pattern. All the people in the world should make one and stop using plastic bags for shopping. :)

Return to “Discuss Knitting Patterns”