Please help me with this wrap pattern!

Ask and answer questions about knitting patterns.
Mei2012Saxons

Please help me with this wrap pattern!

Postby Mei2012Saxons » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:41 pm

Hi!
I just started learning to knit garments and I've already encountered a bit of confusion with this pattern.

Here's a sample from the pattern (tied wrap, featured in Knit Simple magazine winter 2010/2011 issue):

Beg stockinette short row shaping:
Work as foll, maintaining slip st edge:
Next row (RS): Work 62 sts, w&t, work back.
Next row (RS): Work 56 sts, w&t, work back.
Next row (RS): Work 50 sts, w&t, work back.
(ultimately, it says)
Next row (RS): Work all 120 sts, closing the wraps.

My first question is: What does "work back" mean?

Second: Since I'm supposed to start shaping the stockinette short row, why do the instructions only say "Next row (RS)"? Is it inferred that I maintain a purl stitch on the wrong sides in between and this pattern just doesn't say to do so? (I warned you that I'm a novice! :oops: )

Third: When the pattern says to "work 50 sts," is it inferred that I simply knit the entire time? ><

Then the pattern similarly says,

Beg garter short row shaping
(With similar instructions, as follows...)
Next row (WS) work 46 sts, w&t, work back.
Next row (WS) Work 41 sts, w&t, work back.

So on and so forth.

So is it just inferred since this is the garter stitch that on the right side (RS) I simply knit the entire time?

Thanks for your time! ><

crafty grandma

Re: Please help me with this wrap pattern!

Postby crafty grandma » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:41 pm

You're doing great for a novice with an advanced pattern. Your questions show you have a good understanding of pattern reading and a pretty good idea of what you need to do.

Short rows are designed to give extra fabric in a section of a garment. They are commonly used in knitting the heel of socks and adding extra room for larger busts without making the whole top bigger. Sewers use darts and gussets for the same purpose. From your pattern sample, it sounds like you are making short rows at the edge of your work rather than in the middle. This is a little eaiser to keep track of because you only have to work them on the knit rows.

In your first pattern sample, you have 120 stitches on your needle and you are working in stockinette stitch, which means to knit one row and purl the next. It is common in advanced stockinette patterns not to mention the purl row if you are simply purling across the row. The designer assumes you understand what to do.That is why it is not mentioned in the pattern. In your pattern, you now knit the first 62 stitches of the row and stop. At this point, you will wrap and turn (w&t) the next stitch. This prevents holes from forming in your garment. Rather than trying to explain how to do this, I have found two websites with good directions.

For illustrated written directions - http://www.knitsimplemag.com/node/82

For a video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfGpKiNfQmk&feature=related

After you wrap and turn (w&t), you purl back (work back) across the 62 stitches you just knit. On the next row, you knit across the first 56 stitches, wrap and turn, and then purl back across those 56 stitches. Continue doing this with your rows becoming shorter each time. It will start to look like a triangle at the edge of your fabric. When you reach the end of the short row section, you are told to knit across all 120 stichtes on the needle "closing the wraps". This is shown in the video, but basically, it means that as you knit across, you will pick up both the slipped stitch and the wrap and knit the two together as if they were one stitch, so you still have 120 stitctches after you finish the row. Now you will be able to see the small "pouf" of extra fabric made by your short rows.

In your second pattern sample, it simply says "garter stitch". Again, the designer is assuming you know that means to knit every row, so they will only give directions for those rows where you have to do something different. This means that you will do the short rows the same way as in the first sample, but this time you will knit across to "work back" to the edge.

I understand your desire to move on to more complicated patterns, even though you are a novice. I did the same thing when I taught myself to knit: knitting what I wanted to make and figuring out what I didn't know when I had to. I will say that the internet makes it a lot easier to learn new skills then when I started out 25 years ago! As you continue knitting, be aware that beginner (and many easy) patterns will tell you step by step exactly what you need to do on each row. Most advanced patterns will leave things out of the instructions. For example, if there is a repeating design to the fabric, as in a lacy top, the pattern will start out by explaining how to do the design. This information will not be repeated in the rest of the instructions; it will simply say "work in pattern". This means you must continue following the design instructions PLUS make any additional changes (increases, decreases, short rows, etc.) required for the garment WITHOUT messing up the overall design. This can be challenging for even experienced knitters, so look at the pattern carefully before you start knitting it. When you are still learning (or if you have a really complicated pattern), it may be easier for you to take the time to rewrite the directions to include the missing steps rather then risking having to pull out a large section of your work and starting it over several times.

I hope this has helped and I answered all your questions. It sounds like you are going to be an adventurous knitter, so remember to have fun and enjoy challenging yourself.

Return to “Discuss Knitting Patterns”