Aunt Lydia's Fashion Crochet Thread

Ask and answer questions about crochet patterns.
firstgreencat

Aunt Lydia's Fashion Crochet Thread

Postby firstgreencat » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:20 pm

Is there a trick when crocheting with Aunt Lydia's Fashion Crochet Thread to keep it from twisting so much that it is unuseable? I am having a devil of a time making a shrug for a bridesmaid; it is taking forever because of the twisting. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gloria

crafty grandma

Re: Aunt Lydia's Fashion Crochet Thread

Postby crafty grandma » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:59 pm

It is twisting because of the way the thread is wound on the ball. If the ball doesn't move when you pull the thread, the thread will always twist as it comes off. The easiest way to stop the twisting is to put the ball over a spindle or on something that spins. Then, the entire ball turns when you pull the thread. You don't have to buy a special holder (although they are sold). A paper towel holder, a lazy susan, or a piece of string run through the center of the ball and tied to something will all work. One other option is to lay the ball on its side in a shoebox and let it roll around as you work. However, this can affect your tension (because sometimes the ball will move more easily than others) or your speed and rhythm (because you will have to stop and pull some off, crochet that, and then stop again to pull off some more). Also if you have cats, the noise will attract them and tempt them to play with your thread.

firstgreencat

Postby firstgreencat » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:59 pm

Thanks! I have a spindle so I'll give it a try.

creations

Postby creations » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:12 pm

Hello, I'm new here and started looking at the crochet section and I have been having the same problem with my thread. Thank you so much for the original question. My thread gets tangled and rendered useless because of the extreme twisting. I'll try your suggestion. :)

Return to “Discuss Crochet Patterns”